A degree, diploma, or certificate schedule of study prescribes the number and types of courses required to complete the specific credential. Upon receipt of the prescribed payment a registered student is entitled to receive instruction up to the maximum number of courses/hours of instruction as set out in the official schedule of studies for each semester of the program. Should a student wish to a) take one or more additional courses over the course limit for the semester, b) repeat a course taken previously, c) be required to take foundation-level courses, or d) be required to take a course outside of the curriculum (eg. CPR) such additions will result in an increase in the hours of instruction and additional tuition fees will be charged for the semester.


  1. A student may register in degree-level courses only if they have met the degree program admission requirements and have been formally admitted into the degree program.
  2. A student enrolled in a degree program may not take diploma, Ontario graduate certificate, or certificate level courses for degree credit recognition.

Full-time Student

Students must be enrolled in a Ministry approved full-time program. Students are considered to be a full-time student if they are officially enrolled in at least 66.66% (two-thirds) of a full-time course load or if the student is enrolled in at least 70% of the contact hours prescribed for the semester in the student's current program. Students with disabilities, who require a reduced course load as an accommodation, and who are registered with Accessible Learning Services, may be considered full-time students when they are registered in 40% or more of a full course load. Students should contact Accessible Learning Services.

Students wishing to exceed the normal course load will pay additional fees.

A student registered in a non-Ministry approved program and funded programs, such as Certificates of Achievement, will be considered part-time.

Part-time Student

A student, who is registered in less 66.66% full-time course load, or less than 70% of the contact hours prescribed for the Ministry approved program in the current semester, will be considered to be a part-time student.

Additionally, a student who registers in multiple postsecondary courses offered in the evening, weekend, or online may be considered full-time if enrolled 66.66%of a full-time course load in a given semester as specified in the program’s schedule of study. The Office of the Registrar will identify and notify the student as to the adjustment of their student status classification, fees, and tax information.

New and Returning Students

All new and returning students must complete the registration process by the deadline date set for each term. Prior to the registration, a prescribed fee must be paid. Full payment is due before the tenth (10) day of class. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that these are paid or that satisfactory arrangements are made for the payment of fees prior to the payment deadline. A late payment penalty will apply if payment is not made by the fee payment due date.

Course Prerequisites and Co-requisites

A student wishing to enroll in a course for which the student does not have the stated course prerequisites and or co-requisite must seek permission from the appropriate Program Coordinator to have these waived.

Returning Students: Eligibility to Continue Studies

Returning students who complete the registration process are advised that such registration is conditional on their eligibility for continuation of study in the next term. A student who is required to withdraw for academic or other reasons may not attend classes and the student’s registration will be withdrawn.

Financial deregistration occurs when a student fails to settle their financial account (pay in full or have an arrangement for payment approved by the Registrar’s Office) by the published payment deadline date. Financial deregistration is the removal of all course sections in a specific semester. Dates and deadlines for fees are posted in MyHumber and as per Humber’s academic calendar.

Prior to financial deregistration taking place payment reminder emails and paper invoices are sent. If the account is still not settled, financial deregistration occurs.  Students are notified by email to the student’s email account on file and by mail to the student’s mailing address on file. In addition to all course sections in the specific semester being removed, any tuition and compulsory fees already paid will be retained by Humber.

Reinstatement of courses following financial deregistration requires a student to settle their account with the Registrar’s Office. Students must be reinstated five days following a financial deregistration. Following the five day deadline, students will not be allowed to re-register until the next semester. A reinstatement fee may apply. A student who is being reinstated is not guaranteed the same timetable/schedule as originally selected during the registration process.

All course additions to a student’s timetable for a given term are to be completed by the end of the fifth (5th) day of classes from the beginning of the term as indicated in Humber's Academic Calendar. The addition of a course after the end of this period will be considered only in exceptional circumstances and will require the approval of the Associate Dean of the program in which the student is enrolled. A late fee will apply if a student registers for courses after the registration deadline.

A course must be dropped prior to Last Day to Withdraw without Academic Penalty as listed in the Academic Calendar for each term. This deadline date is normally at the three-quarters point of the course. For information related to withdrawing from courses see Section 8.0, Course/Programs Fees and Refunds.

Students may withdraw from a course through My Humber at http://humber.ca/myhumber. Students must understand that dropping courses may impact their full-time status and change their financial aid (OSAP) status and eligibility.  Students wishing to withdraw from their program, including all their courses must make a formal request to withdraw through the Office of the Registrar. The program withdrawal process may not be completed online.

Students who submit formal notification of withdrawal from a full-time program of instruction are entitled to a refund of tuition and ancillary fees as outlined in Section 8.0, Course/Programs Fees and Refunds.

Following the Last Day to Withdraw, as per Humber’s Academic Calendar, a late withdrawal without academic penalty may be allowed in cases of illness or other compelling circumstances.

A student seeking withdrawal for such reasons must appeal to the Registrar in writing, with supporting documentation, within 12 weeks of the date of the release of final grades. In the case of illness documentation from a medical professional is required. An appeal committee will consult with the academic faculty. If the appeal is granted, “W” (withdrew) will be assigned to the course. “W” is not considered a grade and will not be included in the GPA calculation. The decision of the appeal committee is final.

This process applies to degree students only. Once a student has been enrolled in a degree program, with written approval a student may register in and complete a credit course at another institution and apply the credit(s) to their Humber degree.

The student must submit a completed Letter of Permission Application Form with applicable fee and detailed course outline(s) for the course(s) in question to the Office of the Registrar for approval before registering in a course at another post-secondary institution as a visiting student and 30 days prior to the start of term. The student must submit separate application forms for courses requested from each distinct host institution.

The Registrar’s Office will submit the completed Letter of Permission Application Form to the Program Coordinator for consideration of approval of the course. If the Program Coordinator approves the course, the Office of the Registrar will add the course to the student’s academic record and communicate the decision to the student. The student will receive an electronic copy of the approval via email that the student will be required to submit to the host institution during the application for course registration as a visiting student. The student is responsible for applying to the host institution and for paying any applicable tuition and ancillary fees. The student is also responsible for knowing and understanding the withdrawal dates and academic regulations of the institution where they are completing the course a Letter of Permission.

In order for a grade to be recorded on the student's academic record, upon completion of the course, the student must provide Humber’s Office of the Registrar with an official transcript from the host institution indicating the final grade earned in the course in question. Credit will be awarded for approved courses with a minimum grade of 60% or equivalent.  Students must arrange to have an official transcript sent directly from the host institution to Humber’s Records Department in the Office of the Registrar. If this official transcript is not submitted to the Office of the Registrar by 20 business days following the end of the course, a UNS grade will be assigned.

Credits earned on Letters of Permission will be noted on a student’s transcript with a grade of LOP (Letter of Permission). Courses completed through a Letter of Permission will not be included in the calculation of a Cumulative Program Grade Point Average (CPGPA) but will count as a course attempt. If the student fails the course, it will be recorded as an UNS (Unsatisfactory) grade on the transcript. For more information see Section 14.4, Special Grades. Courses completed through Letters of Permission will be considered for progression purposes. Students will be granted Letter of Permission only if they are currently registered in good standing in their Humber degree program.

Students who do not register in, or withdraw from, approved Letter of Permission course(s) must request written verification of this fact of the host institution and submit this verification to Humber’s Records Department in the Office of the Registrar. The Office of the Registrar will remove the Letter of Permission course from the student’s academic record. There will be no refund of the application fee.

Students completing their last course on a Letter of Permission must have their official transcript sent from the host institution to the Humber Records Department in the Office of the Registrar by May 1st for the Spring Convocation Ceremony or by September 30th for the Fall Convocation Ceremony. Students who do not meet this deadline will not be included in the Convocation Booklet.

Where applicable, a student may request to audit a course. A student must obtain written permission to audit a course from the appropriate Associate Dean. The Associate Dean will submit appropriate authorization to the Office of the Registrar and the faculty member teaching the course so that they are aware of the student’s status in the course. The request to obtain audit status in a course must be submitted and approved prior to the fifth (5th) day of class. The Associate Dean, in consultation with the faculty member, will provide documentation to the student prescribing the extent to which the student may participate in the content of the course.

The procedures for registration and course changes of audited courses are the same as for regular course registrations, except that, after the end of the fifth (5th) day of classes, a student who is registered under audit status for a particular course is committed to that status and may not convert to credit status for the same course. With the approval of the Associate Dean, a student may change from credit to audit status up to the end of the fifth (5th) day of class. Students who are auditing courses will not be evaluated, nor will credits be earned for that course. The regular course fee will apply.

Audited courses will be noted on the transcript however audited courses will not be used in the determination of eligibility for continuation of study.

Audited courses are considered part of the normal course load for a student's term, but not for the purposes of assessing eligibility for Financial Assistance (OSAP).

A student may withdraw from a course or program without academic penalty up to the Last Day to Withdraw without Academic Penalty as listed in Humber's Academic Calendar for each term http://humber.ca/academic-calendar.

This deadline date is the three-quarters point of the duration of the course. For courses taught in a condensed format, students should check with the Program Coordinator to confirm the exact date they can withdraw without academic penalty.

Students who drop all of their courses prior to the last day to withdraw without academic penalty will be considered to be withdrawing from the program. This will be considered as a voluntary suspension of studies. Students who withdraw in this manner may be required to apply for readmission to the program. See Section 11.4 Readmission to Program of Study for more information.

Withdrawn courses, prior to the last day to withdraw without academic penalty, do not appear on the official transcript and will not be counted as course attempts, or used in the calculations of a CPGPA. See Section 14.4, Special Grades, for more information.  If a course is dropped after that date, the in progress grade will appear on the official transcript and will be counted as a course attempt, and used in the calculation of the cumulative program grade point average (CPGPA).

7.9.a Diploma Level Experiential Learning

Experiential Learning, which may include Field Experience, Mandatory Professional Practice, Co-Op, Work Term, Community Service Opportunities, and Internships are facilitated within a competitive environment whereby students are normally required to demonstrate the initiative required to successfully secure an experiential learning opportunity. This includes developing a resume and practicing interview skills in order to secure a position that will meet the requirements of the specific program of study. If students experience difficulty in securing a placement it is expected that the students will continue the search until they are successful. Students may discuss their placement situation with their Program Coordinator.

Students who fail to secure a placement during the period in which the placement is scheduled must re-register and pay the appropriate fees for the course once a placement has been secured. Students who fail to complete the placement prior to exceeding the 200% of the normal program duration must be re-admitted to the program and may be required to complete additional course requirements plus the placement to qualify for graduation.

7.9.b Degree Level Experiential Learning

Normally, degree-level study students will complete the experiential learning component as a block placement of 14 consecutive weeks of full-time activity.  Placements may be paid or unpaid depending on the nature of the program of study and the opportunities which are available.  Opportunities to complete the equivalent of no less than 14 weeks (420 hours,) either in whole or in part, on a part-time basis may be considered and must be approved in advance by the Program Coordinator.

Degree students who do not complete the required experiential learning or field experience prior to the final academic semester of study will be required to defer the final academic semester requirement until the experiential learning requirement is successfully completed.

Students may participate in a study abroad activity in order to fulfill credit requirements in their program of studies. When students participate in a semester abroad activity for academic credit, their Program Coordinator must pre-approve their proposed schedule of studies by completing and signing a Learning Agreement.  This document must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar prior to departure so that the student can be properly registered.

In accordance with Humber’s Travel Policy, the student must also submit a copy of the approved Learning Agreement along with a completed Student Travel Information Form to the International Office three (3) weeks prior to the start of the semester abroad activity.

Semester abroad courses undertaken through a Learning Agreement will not be included in the calculation of any Grade Point Average (GPA).  Students will receive a grade of SAT or UNSAT on their Humber transcript.

Upon completion of the semester abroad activity, the student must arrange for the host institution to send an official transcript, indicating the final grades earned, to Humber’s Office of the Registrar and resubmit an up-to-date Learning Agreement to the Office of the Registrar in order for a grade to be recorded on the student’s academic record. If both these documents are not submitted to the Office of the Registrar within 90 days of course completion, a grade of zero will be assigned.

Students who do not register in or withdraw from courses approved through the Learning Agreement need to request that the host institution submit written verification of this fact.  This verification then must be provided to the Program Coordinator and Humber’s Office of the Registrar.

Students must follow the academic calendar and regulations of their host institution.

Successfully completed semesters abroad through exchange agreements will not impact OSAP loans.  If a student is academically successful and is currently receiving a renewable scholarship from Humber, the scholarship will be eligible for renewal.

Humber Admission Requirements and Academic Regulations