7.6 Letter of Permission (Degree Programs)

This process applies to degree students only. Once a student has been enrolled in a degree program, with written approval a student may register in and complete a credit course outside of their prescribed program of study at another recognized institution and apply the credit(s) to their Humber degree.

The student must submit a completed Letter of Permission Application Form with applicable fee and detailed course outline(s) for the course(s) in question to the Office of the Registrar-Student Mobility Department for approval before registering in a course at another post-secondary institution as a visiting student and 30 days prior to the start of term. The student must submit separate application forms for courses requested from each distinct host institution.

The Registrar’s Office will submit the completed Letter of Permission Application Form to the Program Coordinator for consideration of approval of the course. If the Program Coordinator approves the course, the Office of the Registrar will add the course to the student’s academic record and communicate the decision to the student. The student will receive an electronic copy of the approval via email that the student will be required to submit to the host institution during the application for course registration as a visiting student. Students will be granted Letter of Permission only if they are currently registered in good standing in their Humber program.

Roles and Responsibilities

The student is responsible for applying to the host institution and for paying any applicable tuition and ancillary fees. The student is also responsible for knowing and understanding the withdrawal dates and academic regulations of the institution where they are completing the course on Letter of Permission.

In order for a grade to be recorded on the student's academic record, upon completion of the course, the student must provide Humber’s Office of the Registrar-Student Mobility with an official transcript from the host institution indicating the final grade earned in the course in question. Credit will be awarded for approved courses with a minimum grade of 60% or equivalent.  Students must arrange to have an official transcript sent directly from the host institution to Humber’s Student Mobility Department in the Office of the Registrar. If this official transcript is not submitted to the Office of the Registrar by 20 business days following the end of the course, a UNS grade will be assigned.

Credits earned on Letters of Permission will be noted on a student’s transcript with a grade of LOP (Letter of Permission). Courses completed through a Letter of Permission will not be included in the calculation of a Cumulative Program Grade Point Average (CPGPA) but will count as a course attempt. For more information see Section 14.4, Special Grades. Courses completed through Letters of Permission will be considered for progression purposes.

Incomplete LOP

Students who do not register in, or withdraw from, approved Letter of Permission course(s) must request written verification of this fact at the host institution and submit this verification to Humber’s Student Mobility Department in the Office of the Registrar. The Office of the Registrar will remove the Letter of Permission course from the student’s academic record. There will be no refund of the application fee.

Students completing their last course on a Letter of Permission must have their official transcript sent from the host institution to the Humber’s Student Mobility Department in the Office of the Registrar by May 1st for the Spring Convocation Ceremony or by September 30th for the Fall Convocation Ceremony. Students who do not meet this deadline will not be included in the Convocation Booklet.

Humber Admission Requirements and Academic Regulations